Pattern Box Rules (discussion)

J.Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Thu Mar 3 07:57:11 AKST 2005

I think Gray has broken the code but doesn't know it.  The reason people fly too far out is so they can stay in the box.  In the old days we'd fly the maneuvers where the judges could see them.  We probably never flew more than 100 meters out or over 150 meters high.  There was a 60 degree "box" (really a triangle) but all maneuvers were center maneuvers and easy to judge as far as positioning.  Turnaround required that the maneuvers be moved out.  It was supposed to reduce the noise footprint but did the opposite.
The box should be a box and the horizontal distance at 75 degrees ought to be the same as it is at 60.  I haven't gone through the numbers but I'll bet it is easier for all to see the plane at the edges of a rectangular box if it is flown in closer. The objective ought to be to keep the footprint small and to make it easier for the judges and pilots to see the airplane.  That's my take.
JimO