Pattern Box Rules (discussion)

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Wed Mar 2 15:48:28 AKST 2005

So...
Sportsman - No box
Intermediate - Big Box
Advanced - Smaller Box
Masters - Endless Box

Sounds good to ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Pastorello
NSRCA 199  AMA 46373
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Grow Pattern
  To: discussion at nsrca.org
  Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 6:32 PM
  Subject: Re: Pattern Box Rules (discussion)

  I have always liked the idea that John puts forward below. Primarily because
  it lends itself to cultivating entry into pattern. The next class of
  advancement could have partial turnarounds and then the next one full
  turnaround.

  A 401 class with more interesting center maneuvers and no turnarounds would
  invite, or convert, a lot of pattern-hesitant people that I know today.

  On the other end of the spectrum, I have watched many of, how should I say
  it, our elder contestants get into trouble with the turnarounds in the 403
  and 404 classes. They can fly very well indeed but are a bit past having
  bionic vision capability for the turnarounds, or at least lining the plane
  up coming out of the scored turnarounds.

  They could fly the same center maneuvers as a Masters pilot but opt for any
  type of turnaround. It could easily be a class with a class, like sports car
  racing?

  I know it is a bit "out of the box", but when will I be able to convince the
  majority that we need to make it more attractive to not just join but also
  stay at the end? If we keep looking at a problem through the eyes of our
  young bucks and top end pilots we miss a big chance to have an awful lot of
  fun.

  Regards,

  Eric.

  P.S. I think that the current box is fine as it is. The rules are clear. The
  judges just don't seem to know them very well. It may well be an education
  issue as opposed to a legislation one.