New Sportsman Looking for Hatori Exhaust

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 28 05:19:27 AKDT 2005

FWIW:
First- I am a fan of the YS140 engine I seldom use anything else.
Second- There are very few people that get away with a muffler on them for
long. The mounting on threads along with the engine vibration make it very
hard to keep things together. The worst part is not immediately obvious--
every time you loosen up a muffler, you wear a little more of the threads in
the head. Soon you have no more threads to mount an exhaust system. The last
I checked the head was only available as an assembly-- at about $135!

The simple solution really is a pipe & header. Headers are available for
anywhere from $35-$65, a 40 size pipe will do better than the muffler.
Header life is indefinite with a hard mount.

A soft mount is not essential on a wooden airplane. A soft mount will extend
servo life and reduce battery consumption. They are also tough on headers.

If you have already damaged the exhaust threads on the engine you can send
it off to Clarence Lee (he writes about engines for RC Magazine) and get a
bushing installed with new threads for about $20. It will NOT be quite the
same angle & distance for the header as it started out. I am not aware of
anyone successfully installing a helicoil insert in a YS exhaust port!

My favorite solution is a Hatori Header and a Steve Steele header.
Unfortunately, I have lost contact with Steve.

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US