Off Subject: Ham Radio

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Mon Jun 20 10:52:46 AKDT 2005

Jerry:
Sure is possible to get a Tech license without code.  In fact, if you
want to upgrade, and you have passed 5 WPM in the sometime past, it will
carry-over into your new ticket.
So,
1)You don't need code for a new tech license
2) If you've ever passed code, even at 5 WPM and have something to prove
it, you don't need to take it ever again.  (I happened to save my old
CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination--whew!)  So
right now, I'm at General level with all code privileges, and that is
with not having listened to CW since 1991 or so.
And, as a kind of aside, John Ferrell, (Extra Class, W8CCW) and I are
exploring computer programs to brush up on Morse; they've got some great
learning programs out there.  If your friend wanted to visit the ARRL
web site, he could get filled in on what's available.  I believe
WWW.ARRL.org might get him started.  (Might be .com)  In any event, a
web search would show it.
3)If you do decide to get a Tech license, and get the code, you will
have additional operating privileges, should you decide to exercise them.
If I can help out any other way, just drop me a line.

Bill Glaze
KI4JQW
NSRCA 2388

Jerry Budd wrote:

>> Bill,
>>    Do you happen to know if there is a no code Tech license that
>> covers 6 meters.  I was asked this recently at the field by a flyer
>> interested in a ham ticked but who cannot seem to get the hang of Morse.
>

> There is, that's what I have (got it in 1991).
>
> Jerry, KC6WFF

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.