Variation on...... cataracts and flying pattern...new question

Larry Caldwell 4larryc at bscn.com
Sat Jun 18 17:50:45 AKDT 2005

Ken,

My last couple of eye exams indicated 20/20 in my right eye, 20/15 in
the left with my prescription I have been wearing for some time now.
But I still see fuzzy airplanes.  My right eye has some slight retina
damage that doesn't help, it seems to reduce the acuity some.

At my last exam, I asked the doctor to experiment a little and see if
she could simulate looking at 500-800', rather than the shorter distance
that the exams are seemingly based on.  I ended up with a different
prescription for one eye that seems to help most of the time.  My vision
seems to vary some from day to day, even hour to hour sometimes, but I
can't have that many prescrption to keep track of.  It may be worth a
shot to have your doctor play with the prescription a little.  The
doctor I go to told me that they frequently don't change prescriptions
for samll changes in lense power.  She said that most people will never
notice the difference.

Larry Caldwell

Ken Blackwell wrote:
> Recently, I had my glasses updated, (Age 67, trifocals) and my medium
> distance and close up vision is 20-15....according to the Dr.'s eye
> chart. However, when I look off at a distance like flying, the glasses
> do not sharply focus. In fact, I can see better without them. My problem
> is that I wanted to get my sunglasses updated....but the prescription
> doesn't work for distance and in fact my old prescription works better
> at a distance than the new one. BUT the old prescription doesn't do an
> adequate job at short to medium distances.
>
> Has anyone ever heard of this problem...solution....and maybe an
> Internet med reference?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ken Blackwell
> and follow the instructions.