Switching NSRCA districts - your thoughts?

patterndude at comcast.net patterndude at comcast.net
Wed Jun 15 20:35:25 AKDT 2005

It might be a bit early to have any perspective on this as the new rule has just gone into effect.  I attended the Tulsa contest, in the upper corner of D6 last week, where Dan Curtis and I met in the flesh for the first time (Dan was instrumental in the district border committee activity).  Most of the locals had been actively anticipating the this new rule and I was curious to see how they felt about the final wording of the rule.  You see, this was the ultimate test in my opinion. The contest was a D6 contest by the new rule but many of the local pilots had affiliated with D5.  What I found was that every single person was pleased.  The district champ formulas for D5 and D6 have accommodated this situation and everyone felt the geographical stability combined with the individual flexibility was a big improvement.
   You might think that because I chaired this committee that my perspective is skewed.  Those who know me know this isn't true.  I agonized over the pros and cons, the entire committee discussed alternatives (including doing nothing), we created lengthy email responses to the many that answered my call for feedback in the KF.  There are definitely pros and cons that all have merit but I believe the end result is the best compromise to resolve the problem.
  Of course, after a season or two we will know for sure.  So for now, lets keep a level head and use this new opportunity as a way to meet your needs and not an instrument to manipulate a DC.  This is not the subject to beat to death on this list...please.
--Lance

--
District 6 AVP
www.aeroslave.com

To me, the biggest part of this is what each of us fly for?  To compete, to win, to win a district championship, to have fun, to get away from town, etc etc.

In the early 90's I moved from then Sportsman to advanced in June.  Some of my competing brethern thought I was crazy for moving up in the middle of the year because it destroyed my DC chances in either.  To them, the DC was a huge thing, they strived for.  To me, I wanted to fly a new sequence and move up the ladder.  Neither of us is wrong, just different mind sets.

I think the ability to choose, and make that choice by a timeline, in Jan in future years is a good idea.  Dist 6 is extremely HUGE, and is really a good motivator for those interested in challenging for the yearly awards.  I really don't see any down side to it.

If someone chooses a different District than their physical location, they probably weren't attending many of the contests in that District anyway(case in D6).  $$ and time will let them attend contests that are closest.

Overall, this may help to increase some contests attendance also.

Ed

Grow Pattern <pattern4u at comcast.net> wrote:
The NSRCA board voted in a change to allow pilots who live on district borders or who compete more in the "other" district, to register in that district for district championship purposes. This year you can do it up to the end of July.

I tried the option, just for grins, and immediately got a bit of ribbing from my current district D-1 and my foster home district D-2.

In my case, I know that I am not going to terrify Don Szczur (flying FAI) when he finds out that I am now a rival as opposed to a visitor in VA.

It did get me to ponder how well the ability to change districts is going to work. There are districts who would lose pilots and not gain any and vice versa.

At a higher level, does it really matter if you live or are registered in a district. Should it be more important that you show up, pay your entry fee and fly???

Not want to incite word-war, but I really am interested in how it will pan out and what people think about it? We are giving it a try but should also inspect the results for next year.

Regards,

Eric.