D4/D5 Shootout

Larry Diamond lld613 at psci.net
Tue Jun 14 19:31:40 AKDT 2005

Great contest had a great time!!!!!

Although I must admit that I was not going to attend the contest. I wasn't
ready and I didn't have my engine sorted out. Lisa basically made me go
(Actually true). I can't say what she threatened me with...LOL...She is
great and has always supported me in this hobby. Glad I didn't miss the
contest and I'm very lucky to have Lisa beside me...

Very interesting results...

Keeping in mind there were a couple of dead-sticks that resulted in damage
to the plane.

Denny Runge collapsed the gear on his Swallow when he couldn't make it back
to the runway. The wheel pants punched holes in the wings, both top and
bottom. This happened on his first flight. He was able to repair the plane
and finish all four rounds...Great Job!!!!

Bill Pritchett and Craig Buckles were sharing a Focus. During Craig's
take-off of his third flight (Scored 4th round), the motor died just after
take off and landed hard collapsing the gear. I recall Craig working
feverishly to repair the plane and get it ready for his last round (Scored
3rd round) and for Bill's last two rounds. Craig evidently won the last
round he flew finishing 2nd in Masters and Bill finished strong holding on
to 3rd in Advanced...

These three folks deserve the Iron-man award for not giving up...

Thanks to Bob Kane, Tom Weedon, and Verne Koester (Verne kept Tom brief
during the pilots meeting...LOL)

Larry Diamond