Landing Direction

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 13 19:45:48 AKDT 2005

Paul,

You are suggesting that entering proposals outside of the NSRCA would be preferable?

I'm aware of 2 major "fiascos" (fiascii??) from the last rules cycle -
1)  The new wording for the spin entries.
2)  The new takeoff/landing procedures.

Both were generated outside of the NSRCA.  Both have required huge expenditures of time by Don Ramsey and anyone with knowledge of the rules attempting to explain just how these new rules/criteria are to be applied.  The general consensus is that both are poorly worded and create conflicts with the existing guidelines and rules.  It is a simple matter of fact that the wording (and supporting rationale) regarding spins is self contradicting, contradictory to general criteria/guidelines in the rules, and describes a scenario which is technically impossible.  Another simple fact is that the majority do not support unscored takeoffs and landings.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we would be far better off if the 2 referenced proposals were never submitted.  Just my singular opinion, but I'm willing to be the majority agree.

The NSRCA survey, rules committee, and proposal process to the AMA is not perfect - however, it is much better than the process previously.    As has been stated on this list, membership in the NSRCA does not prohibit an individuals option to submit proposals outside of the NSRCA - however, I think it is pretty clear what an individuals priorities are when they submit competing proposals.  The process certainly doesn't benefit from competing proposals by NSRCA members (Officers in some cases) which only serves to weaken and undermine the efforts of the NSRCA.

BTW - I agree landing is more difficult than taking off - of course many maneuvers of differing difficulty have the same K-Factor - a different discussion entirely.

Regards,

Dave