Landing Direction

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Mon Jun 13 06:51:17 AKDT 2005

Mark,
As you know from our conversation at the Shootout, that's the approach I
prefer too. I also noted how the 0-10 rule sped things up. There was no
messing around with carrying planes way down the runway so the pilot could
lift off right in front of the judges, no engines that quit out on the
runway due to an idle being lowered too far to keep the plane from rolling
on the pavement and so on. I also think it added a degree of safety,
particularly to the pilot/caller/judges on the line upwind of a pilot taking
off. We had a fairly stiff wind blowing out and I noted that virtually
everyone was adding a little more rudder than necessary on takeoff to make
sure that the pilot already flying on the other line didn't get buzzed from
a plane crabbing in on takeoff. The time savings was significant since we
had to fly until 8p to get everyone 4 rounds on Saturday. BTW, our take on
the rules was to announce takeoff and get the thing in the air. As long as
you didn't go off the edge of the runway, it was a 10. At the end of your
schedule, you could turn around however you wanted as long as there wasn't
any "showmanship", announce the landing and land. As long as it was on the
pavement, it was a 10. I never got buzzed a single time as a pilot or caller
and I can't remember the last contest where I could make that statement.

Verne