Landing Direction

Steven Maxwell patternrules at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 13 04:23:17 AKDT 2005

 Although I didn't like seeing the scored t/o and landing go away I think
what your saying Mark is the only alternative for a solid building block,
on the other hand I would hate to see t/o and landing get sloppy just
because they aren't scored, the way it is now is a joke.
 Steve Maxwell

Sportsman and Intermediate.  Given the k-factor of their total schedule
it's a meaningful part, and the ability to land well in a high crosswind is
something they'll need to be comfortable with, so it's worth rewarding ann
motivating the practice required to do it well.

> Given that, I think those two classes should go back to what we had...
Take off's from 0-2 meters, Landings starting at 2m.  Forget all the
sequence and box issues.

> For the higher classes...all pilot's option with a simple guideline for
getting into the box in an efficient manner (no practice or hotdogging).

> Here's my suggestion for you...  Take Ron's approach.  Write it up...and
submit it!!

> -M

On Behalf Of Jerry Budd
> Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 1:30 AM
> To: discussion at nsrca.org
> Subject: RE: Landing Direction
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> I think you've pretty well captured my point of
> view on this topic.  I don't consider takeoffs
> and landings to be aerobatic maneuvers, in fact
> we're pretty much the only aerobatics
> organization that does.
>
> Lets look at it another way.  In the old "B"
> pattern there used to be a touch-and-go, which is
> a lot like a takeoff and landing rolled up into
> one.  Does anyone think a touch-and-go is an
> aerobatic maneuver?  I don't.  Does it take skill
> to do well?  Yes, a lot like the skill required
> to do a well executed takeoff and a proper
> landing.  But the fact that it takes a lot of
> practice and skill to execute them well doesn't
> make them aerobatic maneuvers.
>
> >My question is if no one considers Landing a
> >"aerobatic maneuver"©An argument I'll save for
> >another day©  Then why do we even score it at
> >all??  Let's face it©the Zero or 10 rule
> >basically takes it out of the contest.
>
> I (and it appears that I'm not alone in this opinion) don't think we
should.

> I've always felt that the reward for a good
> takeoff was that you got to fly that flight, and
> that the reward for a good landing was that you
> got to fly the next flight.
>
> >Buddy makes a good point here.  IF we're not
> >going to make a change back to truly scoring the
> >T/O and landing, then just simply get rid of ALL
> >the crap, no scores except for maneuvers in the
> >air, and T/O's and Landings are completely
> >pilot's option.  Get the thing up and down
> >safely©we'll score what's in the air.
>
> That's pretty much the idea.  The interesting
> part is how many people will be willing to
> honestly consider it.
>
> Thx, Jerry
> --
> ___________