Landing Direction

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Sun Jun 12 21:30:07 AKDT 2005

Hi Mark,

I think you've pretty well captured my point of
view on this topic.  I don't consider takeoffs
and landings to be aerobatic maneuvers, in fact
we're pretty much the only aerobatics
organization that does.

Lets look at it another way.  In the old "B"
pattern there used to be a touch-and-go, which is
a lot like a takeoff and landing rolled up into
one.  Does anyone think a touch-and-go is an
aerobatic maneuver?  I don't.  Does it take skill
to do well?  Yes, a lot like the skill required
to do a well executed takeoff and a proper
landing.  But the fact that it takes a lot of
practice and skill to execute them well doesn't
make them aerobatic maneuvers.

>My question is if no one considers Landing a
>"aerobatic maneuver"ŠAn argument I'll save for
>another dayŠ  Then why do we even score it at
>all??  Let's face itŠthe Zero or 10 rule
>basically takes it out of the contest.

I (and it appears that I'm not alone in this opinion) don't think we should.

I've always felt that the reward for a good
takeoff was that you got to fly that flight, and
that the reward for a good landing was that you
got to fly the next flight.

>Buddy makes a good point here.  IF we're not
>going to make a change back to truly scoring the
>T/O and landing, then just simply get rid of ALL
>the crap, no scores except for maneuvers in the
>air, and T/O's and Landings are completely
>pilot's option.  Get the thing up and down
>safelyŠwe'll score what's in the air.

That's pretty much the idea.  The interesting
part is how many people will be willing to
honestly consider it.

Thx, Jerry
--
Jerry Budd