[SPAM] Re: New Sequences

Ed Deaver divesplat at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 16:12:12 AKDT 2005

Just a thought here.  Doesn't or didn't FAI have a reverse humpty from the top with either provision to cross or keep the line.

Can we possibly write these manuevers with either "option" as suggested or give another specific opportunity such as top hat 3/4 rolls up 1/4 roll down or 1/2 roll up and 1/2 roll down.  Simply include the mechanics to keep the same line or choose to come in or out.

ed

Jerry Budd <jerry at buddengineering.com> wrote:
I think some of you are missing the point.

In a contest we had earlier this year there was a pretty stiff
quartering crosswind blowing out. On my first three flights I nailed
the crosswind correction such that I held the plane over the poles
with almost no variance. When I hit the top hat I was forced
(because there is no "option" with that maneuver) to take it either
in or out, when in fact there was no correction needed - I was
already on the desired line. I wound up in a worse position (I went
in twice and out once) as far as the line is concerned because of it.

Because I had almost perfectly held the line prior to the maneuver I
was penalized after the wind correction maneuver by being in (or out)
more than what was appropriate, while those who were in trouble with
the cross wind prior to the wind correction maneuver actually
benefited from the maneuver.

IMHO, a wind correction maneuver that forces a correction to be made
is not a very good wind correction maneuver.

Eric's right, there should be an option for any wind correction
maneuver that allows the pilot who doesn't need (or want) the
correction to not make it.

Thx, Jerry

--
Jerry Budd