Electric Weight: with or without batteries at US Nationals

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Fri Jun 10 07:37:16 AKDT 2005

Hi Richard,

I will be maidening it tomorrow, or Sunday depending the weather here
(tropical storm).  I set the speed controller with the brake off.  On the
Futaba 9WCII, I set the idle on the left slider.  I'm anticipating moving
the slider up for flight, I was thinking around 300-500 rpms for idle. I'm
looking forward to flying it this weekend.  The Hacker C50 14 XL produces
tons of power on the ground.

Jim

"Richard Strickland" <richard.s at allied-callaway.com>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
06/10/2005 11:30 AM
Please respond to
discussion at nsrca.org

<discussion at nsrca.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Electric Weight: with or without batteries at US Nationals

Jim, I'm at 11-2.5+/-(gotta get a better scale) using pretty standard
stuff--but Kokam 3200s(not quite enough capacity--but close), I can gain a
bit with a ni-mah? or lipo rec. pack and I've got an ancient Fut. pcm rec.
in it that could be upgraded--plus the items you mentioned.  But as I've
mentioned--the wing panels weigh a ton--they were like 14.5 oz out of the
box ea.   9151s all around and seem to work well--thrown my timing off a
little as they are even a little slower than the 9150s and quite a bit
slower than the 9154s in the Temp.  Got about 15 flights and sorting
rates, throws, expo, cg, rigging, etc.--probably NOT the thing to do two
weeks before our local contest!   It seems a little 'dancy' in rough air
(that's all I've had since flt. 1), but I'm hesitant to mess with it TOO
much as it knife-edged with no coupling(s) right off both ways.  The
torquey? servos might account for some of it as I may have been getting a
little blow-back--absorbing some of my input(s) on others--or possibly I'm
chasing things a bit.  More time needed.   Where are you setting your
idle?--if I set it where it will staying running all the way through the
flight--then it's too fast for downlines--too low and it stops altogether
at times.  Does that match your experience--or do we turn off the brake? I
know it's a 'wide-body'--but it's clean!

Richard