YS-91 AC problem

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 3 04:25:34 AKDT 2005

I use this method as well.

Don't forget Eric Henderson's tip to do the disassembly/assembly inside a gallon zip-lock plastic bag unless you enjoy hunting for valve keepers.

The carbon build up is a normal condition and should be expected of YS engines that experience long service intervals.

I prefer to adjust YS valves by feel. With the valves all the closed, there should be a perceptible "wink" in the rocker to valve contact.  After reassembly it may be necessary to adjust this several times in the first ten flights or so.

Expect the clearance to get smaller as the valve finds its seat.

Tight valves cost horsepower, loose valves break valve train parts and cost horsepower.

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US