Stab Repair "Help"

Jim Ivey jivey61 at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 2 14:58:04 AKDT 2005

Larry
 I just did this repair on a friends Focus 1. Cut 2 1/2 in dowels about 4 inches long. These are going to be the handles. Take some wire rope better known as pull-pull cable and stick it through the fuse at the stab line,now attach the dowels about 2 ft apart to the cable. You have just made your saw that will cut through the epoxy at the stab glue line. Have someone hold the plane for you so you can saw.. Just make sure you saw lenghwise to the stab(left and right) applying enough pressure to make the rope cut  Cut all the way around,top and bottom. Now the stab will move 1/2 inch left and right through the fuse. Clean off old glue(epoxy),realign the stab tips to the wing tips and align stab and wing front to rear. Reglue and you are done.This all takes less than 1 hour.  Good luck

Jim Ivey

> From: "Larry Diamond" <lld613 at psci.net>
> Date: 2005/06/02 Thu PM 06:26:55 EDT
> To: "NSRCA" <discussion at nsrca.org>
> Subject: Stab Repair "Help"
>
> I noticed that the Horizontal Stab on my Focus I has broken the epoxy bead
> holding it in place. It isn't 100% around but enough that it could have let
> go in a couple more flights.
>
> What is the best way to repair this? How do you remove the epoxy with out
> weakening the Stab.
>
> Larry

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.