Motivation. . . .

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 2 11:50:57 AKDT 2005

Keith,
I haven't been to a contest in going on two seasons (graduate school) and I miss it like crazy! I would drive 10 hours if I only had the time to practice and compete. I think if it is not in your blood to compete and get immediate feedback on your flying (scores) then you can always find a reason not to compete. That question is like asking someone why they bought a Harley, or why they skydive, it is easy to justify not doing it, but that is no fun.

Personally I love the people and all of the wonderful friends I have made in the pattern community. I am a very competitive person, and I like the pressure and the challenge. I like knowing that I have to control my emotions, my breathing, my timing, along with my airplane. When you are in a pattern groove, it is almost spiritual. I see it as an opportunity to meet a challenge head on, a chance to compete against myself and share a weekend with good friends, not to mention how much it has improved my flying. I feel like something is missing in my life, and not just the $6000 per semester for tuition. I can not wait to get back to competing.

If you have to ask what motivates one to fly pattern, you are probably past the point where you can understand.

Someone on the list said it best (not an exact quote but close):
Practicing or just flying without a purpose is like golfing without the holes.

Verne Koester <verne at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
st1\:* {	BEHAVIOR: url(#default#ieooui)}Competition and good friends with a common interest.

Verne