[SPAM] Re: Scoring formula

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Fri Jul 29 18:44:55 AKDT 2005

Eric,

So next year in FAI with 10 finalist and 5 judges we have enough for TBL in
FAI and should by rule need to use it! The problems listed in you last email
were 3 pilots and 3 judges was found to be a problem...FAI has dictated to
the pattern world that 5 judges and 10 pilots is the minimum...By the way it
doesn't say you can or should use it...The words are will be computed using
TBL and then it gives the conditions for smaller events when TBL is not
effective and high-low drop is a better resource.

In the past the excuse has always been not enough judges and or not enough
pilots for the given rounds. I don't think the NATS management understood or
approved of TBL and thus it was not used. But the rule book states will USE
it!.  If we run the event in line with the rules we will have both the right
number of judges and pilots. I understand logistics will play and we can't
have the  large amount of judges dictated but it does allow for 5 and we are
using 5 judges per flight in the finals. Give us the opportunity to fly an
event strictly by the rules. This is what we asked of you in the meeting on
Sunday night. To deviate in favor of the pilots is fine. I don't see anyone
to complain if we make a semifinal cut to 20 pilots rather than the top 30%
this year meant 30% or 10 pilot fly semi's and then the top 10 of them would
go to a final...This doesn't make sense...But a top 20 then a cut to the top
10 is fair to all involved and follows the spirit of the rules.

By the way I was very pleased to see 4 panels of judges in the FAI
finals...Some of the judges served on 2 panels but it saved the eyes and
brains of the judges and gave us the pilots a more fair representation.
Ideally 10 judges per flight would be great but we just don't have those
kinds of numbers. Bully for The judging team and the NATS management for
giving the judges a break as opposed to last year with all 10 judges sitting
for 40 flights. I think this gave each pilot a more fair and equitable look.

Tears sheets or No tears sheets

One more noteworthy topic of discussion and not sure where the idea of
secretive tear sheets came from as this was used in Masters from comments
made on the list...In FAI the rule is clear also...

Section 5.1.8  Marking

 last sentence

..."The scores given by each judge for each competitor shall be made public
at the end of each round of competition"

Public defined in Webster's dictionary

 Public:   exposed to general view ,
              accessible to or shared by all members of the community

This means you have to post the tear sheets. It doesn't mean the pilot gets
his tear sheets or they are left on a table. They must be exposed to general
view, accessible to or shared by all.

The original intent during the FAI this year was no tear sheets to the
pilots but they showed up after an official was reminded of the rule book.
Reality is they need to be posted per the rules. On a side note it also
helps keep judges on their best behavior as their scores for each figure for
each pilot will be published for all to see! Personally I think this will
help with favoritism. Why would a judge give a score that he will not stand
behind as his result! There are two reasons I can think of..1)
Favoritism-Bias and so on 2) he is not competent to be there. Both of which
are problems. If his scores are public then by all means he is accountable
for his actions. The rule says the scores given by each judge for each
competitor.. This is a rule translated to Public posting of the tear sheets.
I agree with this philosophy 100%.  As the CIAM committee stated in its last
Spring 2005 meeting this public display of scores presents the idea of
transparency in the contest. Nothing is behind the scenes and secretive the
results are there for all to see.  Me as a judge I have reasons to back up
every single score I give. You may not agree with my score but I try to be
fair and the same with every pilot I see. This may mean you get a six from
me and don't like it but I found enough errors to take 4 pts. I'm not
perfect and sometimes I miss things...plus sometimes I become more critical
than the next guy on certain errors...but the reality is I strive very hard
to be fair to all pilots. I expect and demand the same from them when they
judge me.

This can start to give us a fair and balanced evaluation method for our
judges. Also it may help in selecting qualified judges for the finals rather
than a Home Towner or buddy.

Again this is FAI only at this point
You may or may not agree with this rule but the reality is....the rule is
clearly stated!

Troy

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.