Scoring formula

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Fri Jul 29 17:13:00 AKDT 2005

Check this out I was researching TBL formulae and I ran across this. The
parallelisms of the full-size aerobatic world to our world are pretty scary.
_ Eric

Horizon - January Issue 2005 page 8
  "Hello IAC members, I've just been informed that TBLP has officially been
abandoned by the IAC. I suspect that most of you were not aware of this."
posted by Don
Peterson to the Exploder.

 However, it appears that the system itself is problematic in regards to
averaging
scores and pilot placement.

'TBLP is very simple:
1. it "stretches" or "narrows" each judge so it looks like he scored the
same "style" as
everyone

2. it looks at every individual figure and removes a biased judge

3. it looks at every full flight and removes a biased judge,' wrote Michael
Golan on the
Exploder. Anyone wishing to verify this analogy can read Appendix 2 of the
IAC Official Contest
Rules book and get the official description of what TBLP does to scoring.
However, Michael went on to show the two big problems with TBLP;

1. with 3 judges and 3 competitors, I've seen the best pilot come out on the
bottom and vice versa.

2. TBLP does not allow for real time results. There were many e-mails in
this vein and examples of where great flights seem to fall into
a lower ranking under lesser flights. Many gnashing of teeth, shrugging of
shoulders and shaking of heads followed.

The best definitive response came from Allyson Parker-Lauck, IAC Vice
President.
She verified that the TBLP system is not being used in the contest season
2005 and that an averaging system will be used.

'I'm not going to get into the pro-con TBLP debate, but I would like to
answer as to why the Board changed the scoring program for the 2005 season.
We haven't "abandoned" TBLP, and we didn't decide TBLP must be bad because
we don't understand it as some have asserted. There's always more to the
story, so as an IAC Officer who was actually at the meeting where the
decision was made, I'd like to tell you what happened from my point of view.
1 - IAC Contest Directors have been screaming for years for a Windows based
scoring
program that is easy to use. Finding an IAC Scoring Director with the
equipment necessary to perform his/her duties is becoming more and more
difficult every year.IAC has been wanting a program that runs in Windows for
at least 8
years. This year we finally had a committee who has come through for us with
an easy to use, tested product.

2. - The committee who developed this program could not perform the
programming, testing, etc. to make sure the bugs were worked out AND
incorporate TBLP in time for the 2005 Contest Season.

3 - Several Contest Directors around the country ran dual results - the
official results with TBLP along side unofficial straight average results.
Some of the differences at some contests were quite eye opening (at one
contest TBLP brought a competitor from 6th to 2nd place). Some say this
shows TBLP is working as intended, others say that's out of whack.

4 - IAC Director and CIVA President Mike Heuer then informed the Board that
CIVA will be conducting such a study and will share the information with the
IAC.

5 - IAC will be revisiting the TBLP issue at our next two meetings to decide
what to do about our scoring program for 2006. By that time we won't be
running on opinion and personal preference, we'll have good solid data from
both the new scoring program which will use straight averages along with the
CIVA study on TBLP. We're trying to answer to the Membership's needs and
make improvements to our service." Allyson Parker-Lauck ended.

So, one final thought about the scoring in 2005. If you are planning on
being a volunteer, one of the best places you can be is in the scoring room!
It's THE hot spot - that's where the action will be!

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.