[SPAM] Re: NMP Header

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Wed Jul 27 19:31:55 AKDT 2005

The front support is too tight or the pipe and header combo is hitting the
model. I saw this happen with another model where the header was actually
hitting the side of the model when it was moving on the motor mount. The
pipe tunnel was exposed but was just narrow enough to fit the pipe...it
didn't allow any side to side motion.  Also look at the angle the header is
taking as it leaves the head of the motor...If it is bending up at a sharp
rise and then levels out in the pipe tunnel this is putting stress on the
pipe as well. This is a problem on the Focus I have seen the answer is to
move the motor as far forward as possible and then cut the firewall down
where the pipe tunnel starts. This gives the pipe a gradual rise rather than
trying to make it all at one shot and then bend it back toward the model to
fit a pipe level in a pipe tunnel or recess.

The wire tie wrap on the NMP pipe mount thing for the front support should
be loose allowing maybe a 1/4 of travel in all directions. This will
restrain the front of the pipe but not secure it driving the forces up to
the header. They also make a small header mount bracket that attaches in the
middle of the S bend and then mounts to the rear mounting lug on the back of
the carb that is used on the YS mount. So a motor that is 140FZ or earlier
can not use this...but 140L, 120FZ and all the current 140-160 stuff it
works on just fine.

Troy