Foam Honey-Coming Weight savings

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Wed Jul 27 18:30:56 AKDT 2005

The amount of weight saved by honeycombing a wing is more than the foam
weight.  It is a combination of the foam weight and the epoxy or adhesive  you
don't use in those areas.  Once the foam is honeycombed, take the  template and
very lightly mark the outline of the honeycomb on the inside of  each wing
skin.  Then only apply adhesive to the areas of the balsa skin  that will contact
the foam.  The combination of the foam weight reduction  as well as the
reduced adhesive will give you the greatest reduction.   Admittedly, the reduction
is not large but when you consider reducing an ounce  in a 11 or 12 oz wing
panel, the percentage is respectable.

Don Atwood

you have the wing honeycombed, In a message dated 7/27/2005 7:22:37 P.M.