Does Pattern competition cost too much?

Rodney Tanner rodney19821982 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 17:46:36 AKDT 2005

.... a DA150 under the noise limit? My main gripe against the big IMAC planes is the damn noise they make :-(

Rodney
NSRCA 2906

"J.Oddino" <joddino at socal.rr.com> wrote:
Thanks to all who responded.  There were many good thoughts on why IMAC seems to be more attractive than pattern these days.  I don't think either group has a lock on being nicer guys and putting on a better contest, it has to be something in the formula.  I like IMAC from the standpoint there is no weight limit resulting in more rugged airplanes that require less maintenance.  The gas engines are more user friendly and provide excessive power without a lot of engineering and expensive fuel.  No one wins because they have a better engine.  Less emphasis on the box relaxes the pilots.  But probably the biggest thing they have going for them is the fact that the larger airplanes are better at doing what we want to do.  The 40%ers fly huge maneuvers at what seems a low constant speed with constant radii on top and bottom of very straight vertical lines.  They are much less susceptible to wind.

Having said all this I plan to get back into pattern and the reason is I believe the electric power system will overcome many of my current complaints about pattern.  I also agree that the arrival of many ARFs will be good for pattern.  It will be interesting to watch but I think pattern will be making a comeback without any major changes in the rules and specs for the airplanes.  I'd still like to see an unlimited aerobatic model airplane.  Picture an optimized 3 meter pattern plane with a DA 150.

Regards, Jim O