Coke Bottle Fuel Tank

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Tue Jul 26 05:25:28 AKDT 2005

Wayne-o

Are you crazy-mon? First, the bottles are Polyethyl tera phthalate....and
are NOT chemical resistant.  Let me provide and example that I know  you
can understand....BEER.

Whether you realize it or not, beer has alcohol in it. Alcohol is deemed
in some parts of my industry as a "solvent". Other view it as "essential",
but thats another story. Until very recently, did you ever notice that
beer NEVER came in plastic bottles? Even now only beer without any real
taste (its raining beer!) comes in plastic, so they can sell the stuff up
north where the football fans like to throw things at the Dallas Cowboys.
Shrinkage comes from one of two things, first you swam in the cold water
way too long, or second you leached out what is reffered to as a
"plasticizer". A plasticizer is an additive that allows the grocery store
idiot to drop that bottle of coke without explosion. It also is the stuff
that you just ran thru your engine. When it croaks, or when your glow plug
croaks you will now have an obvious reason.
Beer uses ethyl alcohol, we use Methyl, which is much more aggressive as a
solvent. Our real fuel tanks are made from polypropylene, which is VERY
chemical resistant in is un-plasticized form. As a matter of fact, if you
buy Methyl alcohol, it comes in polypropylene drum, because it will
corrode steel. As a matter of fact most fuel comes in polypropylene
containers.....ones with steel cans have an epoxy coating in them.

And now to debunk another myth........the above plastics are
"thermoplastic" epoxy is "thermoset". Epoxy  (thermosets) does not get
brittle with age, unless you the user add some crap to it.  5 minute stuff
WILL as it is accidently plasticized by all the stuff used to jack up the
reaction.

And one last thing.......... Beer + Plastic = bad taste, and as my
Chemistry 101 professor so diligently demonstrated in mathimatical terms,
you should never drink light beer.....Instead, drink a real beer, followed
by 10.52 ounces of water, then a real beer and another 10.52 ounces of
water. Your caloric intake will be the same as 4 light beers, but at least
you got to drink 2 real beers.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

"wgalligan" <wgalligan at cnbcom.net>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
07/25/2005 09:54 PM
Please respond to
discussion at nsrca.org

<discussion at nsrca.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Coke Bottle Fuel Tank

I am using Cool Power 15% and my bottle is still the same size as when I
installed.  Must be the componants of the fuel your using.   Interesting
non
the less.

Wayne