[SPAM] Re: Does Pattern competition cost too much?

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Tue Jul 26 03:59:13 AKDT 2005

There's certainly an element of "welcome" that's an important part of successful contests (pattern or otherwise). We're fortunate to have gracious and enthusiastic hosts in D6. I've been to less friendly meets - once - in other parts of the country, they don't last.

Just to ensure that there's no misunderstanding, the work ethic I mentioned in a previous post applies to aerobatics, not just pattern. The IMAC folks have even more to work on than pattern enthusiasts and we've a local stunt guy that seems to fly 24/7.

We do work too hard at contests - we've brought it upon ourselves with contestant judging. But contestant judging is generally far better than that received from inexperienced and/or disinterested local judges. We need to apply technology to judging to lighten the work load and increase accuracy! Forget the notion that the judge can't / shouldn't have an advantage over the pilot, the game is (should be) about precision flying - not snowing the judges. I'm sure that current technology exists that can be developed into a system for computer scoring of precision / geometry, position, and size. "People" judges might still be used for smoothness and gracefulness, a much easier job than the gory details of the rest of judging. Just think, at most events one could relax, maybe even fly at the Nats without judging!

Earl