Does Pattern competition cost too much?

Michael Cohen precisionaero at comcast.net
Mon Jul 25 17:05:08 AKDT 2005

The IMAC contest in ABQ had 30+ flyers, our pattern contest two weeks later had 16.  This imbalance has been in place since I have lived out here.  But Richard Lindberg, Kent Paul, and I are working hard on continuing to make our contest more and more popular and we have enjoyed increasing numbers for the past three years.  I think one reason for IMAC's popularity is the abundance of relatively inexpensive, decent quality ARFs.  Now that we are seeing more and more pattern type ARFs coming to the market, we need to encourage people to try them, and encourage those that buy them to give competition a try.  Richard has does an excellent job of assisting members of our club, to the expense of his own flying.  And he has helped nurture some of those members in the pattern arena.  Wish I could help more, but three kids and working at Eclipse Aviation tends to put dampers on being able to get out to fly, let alone help others.  Anyhow, just keep encouraging others, share your R/C knowledge, and shamelessly promote our version of R/C and that can only help increase attendance at contests.

Mike Cohen