Does Pattern competition cost too much?

Ed Deaver divesplat at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 14:10:56 AKDT 2005

PERCEPTION is the key word to me.

Having flown both IMAC and Pattern competitively this is still what I see.

Pattern is PERCEIVED as a bunch of grumpy, rule book carrying, cutthroat pilots flying expensive, speciallized and hard to get planes that are only good for one thing, Pattern.  I know this not to be true, but this is the perception.  You can build from start, a competitive Pattern plane through FAI for $2-2.5K.

IMAC is PERCEIVED as a bunch of fun loving, 3D'ing, laid back group of pilots being able to fly any plane.

Truth of course is any plane only works for the prodigy, and in Basic, but can be flown in Pattern also.  A 40% is going to run you $7K minimum, with some vehicle and possibly trailer to fly.  I have had 10 or more Pattern guys offer help when something breaks at a pattern contest, and at an IMAC contest, out of 40 pilots, only 1 will offer help.  Most IMAC guys don't even know the rules, whereas almost all Pattern pilots know the rules.  But are willing to help anyone.

In my experience the PERCEPTIONS are completely backwards, but perception is reality!!!!!!!

If we work to change the perception we will succeed in getting more people to fly pattern.  But, look at the discussions on this list about miniscule details, and it is easy to see why some say what they say.

Lastly, the way pilots are treated at contests was brought up to me.  Going to a contest, and not having to sit in the "chair" is a big factor.  It was stated, feeling as though the club was grateful you came, as opposed to making a pilot work for coming to the contest.  Not sure I totally agree, but that is what I was told.

Food for thought.

ed

"J.Oddino" <joddino at socal.rr.com> wrote:
>From time to time I hear folks suggesting the reason the number of contestants is down is due to the high cost of pattern planes and support equipment.  Well I don't believe that is the reason.  This weekend I went to a relatively local IMAC contest in Camarillo California and there were somthing like 61 preregistered and 56 actually flying.  I'd guess 80% of the planes were 40% scale, meaning they had $1500 engines and $3000 airframes and $1500 worth of servos.  Then you've got the motor homes and trucks and trailers to transport them.  I still say the highest cost of flying is the driving to and from the field and that is probably why the park flyers are so popular.
So what is the reason for the drop in attendance and the drop in the number of pattern contests?  Or is that only in Southern California?

Jim O