Crosswind landings

patterndude at comcast.net patterndude at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 14:34:41 AKDT 2005

I'm leaving for Muncie in the a.m. and looking at a storm roll in out my work window.  Wind is wipping up at about 40 mph crosswind.  These are the same conditions faced at the Nats 2 years ago.  So I was wondering about what I'd do if it happened again.  Although flying was nearly impossible, landing most definitely was.  This was because a 40 mph crosswind can not be compensated for as the plane slows.  However, with magical planning skills I could imagine making my landing approach at a 45 degree angle to the runway.  As the plane slows it will track the shape of a parabola layed down in a horizontal plane.  If I time the power right the plane will stop flying in the crosswind direction when it is over the runway and I can touch down.  However the plane will be at least 45 degrees crabbed at touchdown, (probably more).

If I suck up the gear (retracts) and side slide the plane on the center stripe to a halt, is that a 10?

--Lance

--
District 6 AVP
www.aeroslave.com