Basic Flying Rules

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed Jul 13 05:46:16 AKDT 2005

My flight instructor (Dr. Landon Spradlin) was going
over engine-out procedures with several students, and
one of the students asked "what do you do if you lose
the engine at night". The instructor said "You still
go through your checklist. If the landing lights work,
turn them on. When the ground comes up into view and
you don't like what you see, turn the lights off."

We all laughed, but he was serious. His philosophy was
that, at that point, you have done everything you can
possibly do. There is no point in worrying about
something you have no control of.

Ron, if we ever meet, remind me to tell you the whole
story.

Bob R.

--- Ron Van Putte <vanputte at cox.net> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2005, at 8:28 AM, Bob Richards wrote:
>
> > Another basic rule:
> >
> > "There is no such thing as gravity -- the earth
>
> I read a short piece by Bob Hoover that said, if you
> were going to
> crash, you should fly the airplane as far into the
> crash as possible.
>
> Ron Van Putte

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.