Interchange Airtonics/JR servo arms - resend

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Tue Jul 12 05:20:38 AKDT 2005

I have found a HUGE amount of quality variance in the ali. arms that are out there. The casting and anodizing can be very "poor". Some arms that are listed as JR will simply not fit a metal JR output shaft. These same arms would not fit my airtronics servo either.

What you need to look for is

1. If the arm is rotationally a loose fit. Rather obvious, but the output shaft screw can make you think that it is OK. Even if tightened down it can actually rotate a degree and change your trim settings during flight operation.

2.  Look closely to see if the arm goes all of the way down on the shaft. I have found a gap between the top of the output shaft and the servo arm. One arm looked good but could be rocked even when the screw seemed tight.

3. The hole for the servo arm screw is often too tight. The screw sort of self taps on the way in. You think it is all the way down but it is not. Later on the arm becomes loose and thing get ugly. In this case the hole be drilled out with no problems.

The ali. arms are attractive but lately I have been going over to the discs, for strength, or the newer and thicker arms. Please just "junk" any arm that does not look or feel right.

Regards,

Eric.