Changing Frequencies.....danger??

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Fri Jul 1 07:18:02 AKDT 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 9:33 AM, dwaynenancy wrote:

> It doesn't make any difference even if you had more range.  The FCC
> rules do not allow you to do that.  If you have an accident????

All this talk about what's legal and what's not isn't going anywhere.
Let's face it, there are some people who shouldn't do ANYTHING with
radio equipment, including own and operate it.  We all know those
people.  Their most common statement is, "Oops!"  Then there are the
knowledgeable people who prudently do things with their equipment,
which is technically illegal.  The FCC tries to make broad rules to
cover every eventuality.  They type certify radio equipment in an
attempt to keep the "Oops! " people from hurting themselves or others.
If anyone can tell me why a prudent person shouldn't use equipment that
they've changed frequency on AND ranged-checked to determine any
change, other than, "FCC rules do not allow you to do that", I will
listen.  BTW, I hold an FCC technician license (KD4TXE).

Ron Van Putte