[SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: No fixed tips?

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 31 18:30:56 AKST 2005

This past year I put about 500 flights on a pair of Vivats which have fixed tips.  The 3 years prior, I put about 1600 flights on a pair of EMCs which had the control surfaces go all the way to the tips.  Same servos, same linkages, very similar surface areas and control throws.  Both used 2C engines and similar softmounts.  I found the average aileron servo needed to be replaced (pots and gears) after about 250 flights on both planes.  I suspect the biggest difference between the servo life I see and Troy sees is attributable to 2C vs 4C.  FWIW - we are both using the same aileron servos and laser throw meters.

The theory about tip vortices putting extra wear on an aileron servo makes sense - but I tend to think it may be more/less of a problem on different designs.  I tend to think other factors may contribute less, equally, or more depending on the particular plane - softmount used, engine used, weight of control surface, control throw geometry, orientation of the servo pot, etc.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net