Composite-ARF Impact question

Adam Quennoz aquennoz at ipa.net
Sat Jan 29 19:31:55 AKST 2005

Earlier this year I got to see a CA Impact up close.  It was the
pre-painted version.  The owner pointed out that something didn't look
right about the vertical stab.  I took a look at it from the nose.  It
seemed like it was twisted.  After a closer look from above I could
clearly see what looked like a non-symmetrical airfoil shape. The
parting line wasn't centered.  I dismissed it as a possible
manufacturing error because I've never heard of anyone designing a
vertical stab that way.  Well, I just received my Impact (white/red) and
it too has the non-symmetrical airfoil v. stab too.  It seems as if it
was designed to create lift to push the nose right as if it were
assisting the right thrust offset.  I'm curious if anyone out there
builds their pattern planes with this feature or is this unique to this
design?

Thanks,
Adam Q