Snao G's

Michael Laggis fishgod at pobox.mtaonline.net
Thu Jan 27 09:50:59 AKST 2005

Very interesting.

Michael Laggis

  _____

From: discussion-request at nsrca.org [mailto:discussion-request at nsrca.org] On
Behalf Of Earl Haury
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 9:40 AM
To: Discussion List, NSRCA
Subject: Snao G's

FWIW, I took a quick look at some snap G's yesterday. Equipment was a Quique
YAK (140 size) fitted with an Eagle Tree Systems datalogger with G sensor. I
only gathered data from one flight - so take that into consideration.

Flat and level pos snaps @ (nominally) 100mph = 13G, dropping the speed to
70mph = 7G. (A normal pull to vertical @ 100mph = 7G.)

An Avalanche with a neg snap at the top measured -5G @ 50mph.

A Rev Avalanche with a pos snap at the bottom measured 13G @ 95mph. (Masters
maneuver - intentionally flown fast.)

An Avalanche from the top (push - F05) with a neg snap and a half at the
bottom measured -14G @ 90mph.

(I normally measure around 5G on upline and downline snaps with my Partner.)

All snaps were executed with rapid / high degree elevator lead and %
reduction of elevator during rotation.

I may look at this further as the mood strikes. As expected, controlling
speed into snaps is easier on your airplane. None of the observed loads (in
my opinion) should damage a well constructed aerobatic model (wouldn't want
to ride in it though).

Earl