Q's Yak-54 as a pattern plane.

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 04:49:59 AKST 2005

Eric

I pretty much agree regarding the Quique YAK. I've flown one all winter (?) with a 140DZ on the stock solid mount and  Central muffler. This arrangement, as one might expect, is noisy - exhaust muffling is minimal, as is the solid setup. Interestingly, the only servo to complain (JR8411) has been a pot on the rudder.

I lowered the rear of the LG plate 5/16" and replaced the landing gear with a standard F3A Bolly - works great.

With linkage and travels as per a normal pattern set-up, and a much more forward CG, it's OK for practicing pattern. I wouldn't consider it competitive though. You're right about over rotation on snaps (and spins) - not unexpected with 20 oz. wing panels. Overall, I'd rank it more versatile than a sport plane and better value - the feel is somewhat more like an IMAC plane. (It is wild with a 3D set-up!)

I have observed that after flying the less smooth and faster YAK, a pattern plane seems to be in slo-mo and ultra easy to fly well.

Earl