any merit in running dual battery packs ?

Larry Caldwell 4larryc at bscn.com
Mon Jan 24 19:51:54 AKST 2005

In November, after some discussion with a friend who is build a giant
scale project, I decided to do a few simple test regarding parallel 4
cell packs. The plan was a two part test, one for batteries, the other
to see where the receiver and servos actually say "no more".

The batteries were both 600mah Sanyo packs, not new but in good shape.
Starting from a freshly charged condition, each pack was discharged at
300 ma for one hour, to simulate a bit of flying.  The packs were then
connected thru a y harness, and the voltage measured with a 300 ma load.
This condition produced about 4.8 volts.

One of the packs was then reconnected with only 3 cells in series, and
again the parallel connection was measured under load.  Initially I
measured about 4.4 volts.  This was disconnected, and a current
measurement was made.  Initially there was about 180 ma flow into the 3
cell pack, without the 300 ma load.  The current did begin to drop off a
bit, but slowly.  That added to the receiver & servo load would probably
drain the small pack fairly quickly.

The test of the receiver and servo voltage provided a surprise.

The receiver was connected to the variable supply with 1 each Futaba
S-3004, S-9001, and S-9202 servo. A standard Futaba R-127 receiver was
used. A recently calibrated Tek voltmeter was connected across the
supply output

Both the receiver and the servos would operate at 3.0 volts.  As you
started down from there approaching 2.9 volts, some chattering began in
the 3004. shortly below that the 3004 failed to rotate. at 2.8 volts,
the 9001 and 9202 would still rotate, but erraticly.  At 2.75 volts, no
sign of life from any servo.

As the voltage dropped below about 4 volts, you could easily detect the
slower speed of all of the servos.  Torque was not measured, just a
comparative check by holding the servo arms.  The coreless 9001 seemed
to maintain a higher value of torque as the voltage dropped.  The 3004
seemed to get pretty weak as the voltage was lowered below 4 volts.  It
would be interesting to have a simple way to measure the torque as part
of the test.  I think if you had this condition in flight, it would show
easily in control response, giving at least a little time to get down.

I haven't done this with 5 cell packs, but you would expect a better
loaded voltage.  It may be that 5 cell packs with diodes between the
switch and the receiver would be the best setup.

Your mileage may vary.

Larry Caldwell
Brookland, Arkansas