Redundancy

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Mon Jan 24 12:07:27 AKST 2005

There's been a lot of discussion about using two battery packs to
provide extra capacity and redundancy.  However, as Dean Pappas
mentioned earlier, most battery packs fail shorted, so they still
provide energy, albeit at reduced voltage and with limited current.
However, I have seen many servos fail and their failure mode is usually
"dead at neutral" or "dead hard over".  Neither of these modes of
failure is particularly conducive to airplane well being.  Most of us
use two aileron servos and having two aileron servos saved two
different airplanes of mine.  One servo failed "dead at neutral" and
the other "dead hard over".  The first was not a problem.  The second
was a struggle, but I got it on the ground safely.  After the second
servo failure on aileron, I started using dual elevator servos on all
my airplanes.  I haven't had a servo fail on elevator yet, but, if one
does, I'll have a fighting chance to get the airplane back on the
ground safely.

Ron Van Putte