Calculations

Cameron Smith dentdoc007 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 23 06:42:27 AKST 2005

Another twist!

 Here is a post from RCU that chip addresses Engine/Motor thrust.

I run almost no right thrust in my planes and use the thottle to rudd
mix at 2% left rudd. to throttle at idle. Thottle is the master rudd the
slave. This makes the planes fly so much better when inverted at idle,
they do not have that funny yaw through the corners. I have all but
stopped using right thrust and do it all with the mix. What happens is
the fin moves to the opposite side when inverted but the engine and prop
don't know it, so the plane starts to yaw really bad due to spiraling
slip stream.

To set this up just go out and fly the plane straight away from yourself
at full throttle and then go to idle and watch to see which way it yaws
start with 2% and start it from half throttle on down.

Trim it a full throttle with you rudder trim, and when you go to an idle
if the plane yaws left you have to much mix, yaws right there's not
enough. Have this screen up at take off and a buddy that can adjust it
for you. Once you have it going nice and straight at idle and full go
out and do a stall turn at the end of the box, on your way down do a
half roll and exit inverted, you will be amazed how well it will go
through that corner.

Do that first before any other trimming. After that go with CG(45 degree
upline 1/2 roll and it should stay on that line with little or no down
elev.) then ail differential(1 Degree More up the Down) verticals(wing
incidence .5-1 degree positive, then put the stab where ever it needs to
go get the elevators to be neutral, you will at this time mix 1-2% down
elevator with throttle for your down lines), and knife edge last (start
with 5% up elevator with rudd.)

Let me know how it goes and remember trim smarter not harder<G>

                                             Chip Hyde

  Copy & Pasted from RCU Thread on the Hydeaway.