Troy's K-Factor column

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Sat Jan 22 06:37:00 AKST 2005

Yeah, me too. I like seeing things in print (especially the photos) but I
hate to throw things out so I end up with piles of model mags. With a photo
quality printer and a CD burner this problem is easily solved - save the
docs on CD-ROM and print the pictures you want to see. CD's take up less
space than the printed copies so there's more room for airplane stuff. I
wonder if it would be more cost effective to distribute mini CD-ROMs at the
contests (to interested spectators) instead of the hard copies we have now.
If you burn the CD with a generic name for the document (like:
"kfactor.pdf") and don't finalize the CD image, you can re-burn the CD with
a new issue (same filename) if there are unclaimed copies. I've done this
with software archives under Win XP and it seems to work fine. You can't
erase the file, but you can overwrite it as long as the name is the same.
Better than throwing out a box of last month's K-Factors (that cost money).
John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com