New Dremel cordless

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Thu Jan 20 19:39:55 AKST 2005

Well, without going into much detail at this point, let me say that there is a difference between the cells used in things like laptops and dremels and ones people use for reciever packs and such. That's the only point I'd like to make, I'm not diving deep into lithium battery discussion again. Over, done.

The ones for cell phones. lap tops, and now dremels apparently, are specific application packs, with specific application chargers with every safety precaution in the world built in. These big boys have spent the big money for R&D, and that's why in these applications, it's relatively safe....much safer than using a lipo for a reciever pack. Or Li-Ion in this case. The major problem is certain irresponsible companies that threw these things out there without adequate R&D, and some people paid the price for it. Lots. In many different ways. Not all lithium cell companies, just one or two. One in particular.

Now that the hazards are common knowlegde, use at your own risk. Have at it.

As for a dremel with li-ions, nahh my cord works just fine and I never have to worry about charging it. It's always ready to go, 24/7. I actually have a rechargeable dremel, I got POd because I used it so much I could never keep it charged. Building a wood plane, lithiums wouldn't help. So no need.

-Mike