Speaking of painting...Respirator tips

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Tue Jan 18 12:16:47 AKST 2005

As far as Imron goes, I had read in an airplane magazine that a fellow
had been painting his Christen Eagle in an open field with IMRON, and
apparently felt that being in the open air was precaution enough.  He
was pronounced DOA at the hospital, due to catalyzed paint clogging his
lungs.  A couple of years later, I had my El Camino painted with IMRON
by a professional spray company near where I lived.  The spray booth was
a completely enclosed tent looking structure  (one of those crisscrossed
by ropes) and had a positive air pressure setup.  This structure was
outside, in the open air.  When  the man went in to spray, he was
dressed as if he was going on a moonwalk.  Totally covered, pressure
mask, lines, air supply, etc.  The booth had a window, and I walked over
to see what was going on inside.
Another employee politely :suggested that I might prefer to look at the
goings-on from inside the office, (where nothing could be seen,
incidentally.)
He stated: "we only insist on this procedure when IMRON is being
sprayed."  That's when I decided that I really didn't want anything to
do with the stuff.

Bill Glaze