Speaking of painting...Respirator tips

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Jan 18 05:06:41 AKST 2005

Nobody else has bothered to mention it, so I will. The fit of the mask to the face is absolutely important. I was fitted for a mask (not related to my hobby) and went through a qualification where the fit of the mask was tested. They had some pretty obnoxious smelling fumes that they exposed me to. I could not have otherwise detected a small leak in the mask without it.

A couple of years later, I grew a beard and had to go to a positive pressure mask since a regular mask can't seal over a beard.

Bob Richards.

Gray E Fowler <gfowler at raytheon.com> wrote:

There are canisters that will give a 100% respiratory protection. I can go dig up this info tomorrow if anyone wants to know. It has to be a dual rated cartridge, one for organic solvent one for  the isocyanate. You cannot rely on vendor data as their only priority is to be able to stand up in court and say,  "But Judge-mon, our label clearly states that use of our product guarantees death to the user and renders his sperm only good for the production of birth defects......."

Isocyanate can be absorbed through the skin, but not nearly as acute as breathing. Spray outside and remain up wind, let your neighbors enjoy your hobby also.....

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering