Speaking of painting...Respirator tips

humptybump at comcast.net humptybump at comcast.net
Sun Jan 16 05:10:59 AKST 2005

I get my respirators at a (reputable) professional auto paint supply store that specializes in PPG paints. They are less expensive than the retail hardware stores , and they will give you the correct respirators that fit your face properly.

Just be up front and tell them what you are spraying , where you are doing it , and what kind of ventilation you have.Tell them you are spraying R/C models on a part time basis. Most counter people are interested in what you are doing. I found out ALOT about working with PPG acrylic paints from these guys. Obviously they work with professional painters all day long ,and get feedback from them often. They know what they are doing. I had some problems with fish eyes at first (PPG concept)..they helped me eliminate it.

The mask they give me is a 3M  dual cartridge for organic vapor( #07193 large). They charge me about $22. This is more of a service they provide rather than a profit maker....They make their money on the paint. Of course your face may be smaller / larger and the part # will change based on the mask size.

3M professional respirators come in a resealable plastic package. Make sure it is sealed tight after putting back in the bag.

Health tip....Clean the inside of the mask thoroughly once a day with rubbing alcohol before putting it on. This will cut down on the bacteria that grows in the mask ,and lessen your chance of catching a cold / sinus infection. After a few nasty sinus infections over the last 20 years....i finally found out why.....duh.... It wasn't the paint.

Another health tip.....Get out the shop vac and clean the dust in your spray booth/area after several hours of drying time. I vacuum the exhaust fan thoroughly. I even do the walls after completely done with a plane. Empty the can outside with respirator ON. Make sure you are up wind of the can/filter when you open the shop vac container.Another sinus tip from experience.

May your finishes be like GLASS!

John Gausby    Richmond , Va