painting tips needed

George Kennie geobet at gis.net
Sat Jan 15 12:14:22 AKST 2005

Ed,
It sounds like we both have the same type of compressor outfit.
Mine's pretty old, but still functions O.K. and I have several
relatively inexpensive guns, even a pretty nice touch-up gun which I
have yet to use in spite of the fact that I've had it for about 5
years.
As you know the standard guns have so much overspray that you end up
spending all of your money painting the walls, so I  originally
purchased a Paasche Airbrush which I used to paint three or four
planes, but eventually it bedame inoperative by virtue of the
siphoning mechanism becoming leaky. I replaced the "o" ring seals
but was never able to restore proper operating characteristics.
Subsequently I purchased a Badger and I have used it over and over
again and for several years now it continues to perform very well
without problems. I painted my Fresca with it and used a total of 2
(wet) ounces of paint ( which probably dried to about 5 grams) and
this on a 72 inch airplane. I would recommend the Badger, but can't
say I feel the same way about the Paasche.
Regarding glassing the stab on the Temptation, I would only
recommend it if the all up sheeted weight of the structure is less
than 4 ounces. I know that you remember how much less of a penalty
it is to add weight to the tail than to the nose, but you may just
get away with it.
Good luck
Georgie