What homework assignment, was:Schedule - Your homework assignment...........

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 20:53:54 AKST 2005

Matt,
The A Pattern was just before my time. When I got involved, there was Novice, Sportsman, Advanced, Expert, Masters, and FAI. FAI was just getting into turnaround. Everything else was non-turnaround. Masters wrote their own schedules from a list of 36 (I think) which was published in the AMA Rules & Regs. There was a formula they followed which involved a set number of maneuvers that had to have a total K-Factor of something or other. Normalized scoring wasn't here yet either and caused quite a stir before it was adopted. Mostly because nobody quite understood how it worked or what the benefit was.

My club had an annual pattern contest for club members only followed by an open pattern contest later in the summer. I was always afraid to fly in the open contest but worked my way up the ranks in the club contest. By the time I got the guts to try competing on the road, I was already flying Advanced at home so that's what I flew in my first contest away from home. Finished fourth out of four and didn't know anyone else at the contest. My only point of reference came from any and every magazine column on pattern I could get my hands on. Guess you could say Dean Pappas has been my coach for twenty-five years or so without ever knowing it. Anyway, back to your question. The spot landing was gone by the time I showed up but I'm sure I've left my fair share of divots trying to land right on the line!

Verne