* del klipped * Re: Re: adding interest and complexity to Sportsman ... a...

JonLowe at aol.com JonLowe at aol.com
Wed Jan 12 08:02:51 AKST 2005

I've been lurking thru all of this discussion on sportsman for NSRCA, and also the disucssion of the relative merits of SPA for new pattern pilots.  I believe I am qualified to discuss both, as I flew in SPA Novice class and Sportsman in AMA last year.  I was series champ in novice in SPA in 2004, and won the only AMA event I entered.  I flew a World Models Intruder in SPA, and a Titan 2 meter airplane in AMA.

All in all, non-turnaround in SPA is a WHOLE lot less intimidating than AMA Sportsman.  You have time to set up for each manuever, and can concentrate on that manuever, rather than setting up for the end of the box.  The SPA novice sequence is geared to make sure you can fly straight lines, and actually get 3 loops on top of each other, basics anyone needs in precision aerobatics.  SPA is also geared toward a lower keyed event than AMA.  The SPA sequence and members helped me greatly in getting improvements in my flying and placement.  Even though the airplanes are somewhat faster, they are not the screaming demons of the past, because SPA mandates no retracts, and virtually everyone is now flying 91 4 strokes for noise and power reasons, since pipes are not allowed on two strokes, for simplicity.

Stringing together the sequence for AMA Sportsman took a whole lot more practice on top of the SPA novice pattern.  Trying to keep a constant distance out was a major challenge, as well as staying within the ends of the box, since you couldn't reposition at the end of each manuever. AMA was higher stress, but people like Jim Ivey took me under their wing and gave me valuable feedback.

Since I live in the south, I would recommend anyone interested in pattern around here try SPA first to get their feet wet for the reasons above.  In order to encourage people to get into pattern, we have to take as much of the stress away as we can for their first events.  Yes, they need to come into an event with practice under their belt, but simpler patterns, non-turnaround make it less intimidating, and easier to give competition a try.

Jon Lowe
NSRCA 3612
SPA 245