Participation

MKMSG at aol.com MKMSG at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 11:23:20 AKST 2005

jpavlick at idseng.com writes:

"4.3.  Weight and Size.
No model may  weigh

more than  five (5) kilograms (11 pounds) gross, but

excluding fuel, ready for takeoff.  No model may
have a wingspan or total length  longer than two (2)
meters (78.74 inches)."
If  you consider a battery as the "fuel" for an electric plane... Just a
thought.

The AMA rules regarding weight were written before electrics raised their
head.  The 11 lb limit has been with us for quite some time.  The  issue (i.e.,
how to weigh electrics) has been reviewed by the FAI rules  governing body and
they have ruled, at least for now, that electrics will  be weighed with
batteries installed.  I know that those modelers  flying electrics in pattern here
in the US are complying with the 11 lb "ready  to fly" weight limit, but in
all honesty, I can't recall if I've read where the  AMA has addressed this issue
head-on.  It needs to be addressed and  resolved in a way which makes sense
regardless of the type power you plan on  installing.  The issue goes away if
the weight limit is abolished, but I  don't know how receptive US and
international pattern flyers are to that  notion.

Mike Moritko