Participation

Norm500 Norm500 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 9 09:57:06 AKST 2005

Just some thoughts from an electric flyer that hasn't started in
Pattern yet.  I have flown electric power in IMAC, but am
interested in Pattern because of the 2-meter size limit.  My IMAC
plane, a 2-meter Staudacher which weighs just over 13 lbs. RTF,
and is as large as I want to go.  In larger electrics the price
starts going up exponentially, but 2-meters start looking rather
small alongside of the now typical IMAC planes.

BTW, my battery pack weighs just under 3 lbs. so if the rules were
ever changed to allow electrics to be weighed without the pack,
I'd only be at about 10 lbs.  Not too bad for a plane that was
originally built and flown with a Quadra gas engine.

Anyway, the point of all this is that you might be able to start
attracting some electric powered flyers that want to compete
simply because of the 2-meter limit on size.  I know it's not
something that's going to happen overnight, but changing the rule
about weighing with the battery installed would surely help.  I
also know that some of the top rung people are already flying
electric pattern, but with state of the art planes that's hard for
entry level builders to achieve.

I've been trying to decide on a pattern plane to build for some
weeks now.  I'd like it to be a 2-meter if for no other reason
than my eyesight isn't very good and the larger planes are easier
to see.  Thinking of building a Typhoon 2K with Mike Hester's
modifications, but the project looks daunting to someone who's
never built a wing with tubes, adjustable wing and stabs, etc.
Also have been considering the Focus II, but figure it will be
overweight with the batteries.

Oh well, that's my input for today.

Norm