AMA MASTER'S unknown?

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Jan 6 22:51:29 AKST 2005

A couple more thoughts on the subject:

First, the issue of judging Finals (knowns and unknowns  alike): Having
judged Masters Nats and F3A Nats and Team Selection  Finals, I found it was easier
for we judges to have a  competent caller amongst us, calling the maneuver to
us. This was a person  separate from the pilots' caller, speaking softly as to
not distract the pilot.  But when we didn't have a caller, it wasn't that
bad. The demo flights before  the round started served as good refreshers as to
what the shapes looked  like.

Some of us had not seen the F knowns flown before, let alone the unknowns.
As an F3A Finals judge, you do what you can to familiarize yourself with the
sequence. If you're chosen to judge, you already know how (elements,
presentation, positioning, distance, S and G, etc, not belaboring the  obvious).

Second, regarding Masters unknowns: Judging will be a  little trickier
because our pool of competent judges is still rather small, and  F3A uses 10
already. Less are needed for Masters which is a good thing.  With a demo flight, this
shouldn't be that bad for pilots and judges alike.

Finalist F3Aers can do the F sequences and unknowns sequences (of their
choosing) and I believe Masters Finalists can also. Do they need to? NO THEY
DON"T.

But, it wasn't that long ago that Masters was not only able, they were
REQUIRED to choose their own schedules from the Masters list of maneuvers. There
was a maximum K Factor, and that was the only guide line. Not only that, but
they could change their schedules from round to round if they chose. After all
they were MASTERS PILOTS AND IT WAS THE TOP  CLASS.  The ability to choose
was the rite of passage, and  some moved there with that mind set. Was it
interesting? Yup, without a doubt.  This was before TA and scoring programs and the
like. Should we retuurn to that  way of doing business? It would be much
harder to do it  administratively, so, NO, probably not!

However, I do find it strange that MASTERS pilots in general, appear to be
saying that it would be too complicated so lets not even bother.

Third, does it have to be an unknown? NO. It could just be  a Finals known
sequence that is different than the Prelim schedule. I favor this  actually over
an unknown. The Final sequence in my view, would be reduced in  maneuver
number but increased in complexity. Putting snaps aside for a minute, I  see
nothing wrong with loop-roll combinations for example. Same thing for a  rolling
circle, (but not crazy as in the F05 schedule). One roll circles or two  roll
circles are very pretty maneuvers and a great deal of fun to do, and don't  use
up half the county. These maneuver types are hard to do with precision, but
that's the whole point. They are separator maneuvers. Again, what becomes
harder  is the administration.

Fourth, what problem would be solved? I'll answer it with  a question: are we
(Masters pilots)happy with status quo? Same ol' same old is a  good thing? If
yes, then the whole discussion is moot. If no, then  lets change it.

MattK

In a message dated 1/7/2005 12:31:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,