Webra 1.45 tuning length?

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Jan 6 21:31:19 AKST 2005

Dave, what pipe is the 1100/260? Whose mfg?

MattK

In a message dated 1/7/2005 12:29:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
DaveL322 at comcast.net writes:

Ryan,

The Asano setup is designed for the OS140 which has different port timing
than the 145 - the stock setup is about 24" (610 mm) exhaust flange to tuning
baffle.

The recommended tune length from Webra for the 145 using the tuned  muffler
(Horizon part # 1100/260, I believe also sold by Piedmont) is 780mm  (30.75"),
from the exhaust flange to the flat end of the pipe before the  exhaust
stinger.  800m for the 160 - which is interesting because the 160  is a lower timed
engine which typically will utilize a shorter tune  length.  I believe Webra
is specifying these tune lengths for approx 8100  RPM.

I am running the 160s and find that the 1100/260 at 31" ( 787 mm) to  the
flat end (24" to the tuning baffle) and the Asano at 23.785" run  similarly at
about 7700 RPM.

More RPM = shorter pipe.  If the pipe is too short, the main needle  will be
sensitive and the midrange will be less linear.

Less RPM = longer pipe.  If the pipe is too long, the boost of the  pipe will
be limited, and the engine will be very "friendly".

Anywhere between 25-27" should work, best length will depend on prop and
flying style.

Regards,

Dave