Webra 1.45 tuning length?

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 6 20:22:23 AKST 2005

Ryan,

The Asano setup is designed for the OS140 which has different port timing than the 145 - the stock setup is about 24" (610 mm) exhaust flange to tuning baffle.

The recommended tune length from Webra for the 145 using the tuned muffler (Horizon part # 1100/260, I believe also sold by Piedmont) is 780mm (30.75"), from the exhaust flange to the flat end of the pipe before the exhaust stinger.  800m for the 160 - which is interesting because the 160 is a lower timed engine which typically will utilize a shorter tune length.  I believe Webra is specifying these tune lengths for approx 8100 RPM.

I am running the 160s and find that the 1100/260 at 31" ( 787 mm) to the flat end (24" to the tuning baffle) and the Asano at 23.785" run similarly at about 7700 RPM.

More RPM = shorter pipe.  If the pipe is too short, the main needle will be sensitive and the midrange will be less linear.

Less RPM = longer pipe.  If the pipe is too long, the boost of the pipe will be limited, and the engine will be very "friendly".

Anywhere between 25-27" should work, best length will depend on prop and flying style.

Regards,

Dave