Callers (was Re: AMA MASTER'S unknown?)

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 6 19:17:48 AKST 2005

The majority of my practice flights are without a caller - and without a caller, I think I can fly my best - but, I think my average flight level without a "preferred" caller (a very limited group at any point in time) is slightly less than with a preferred caller.  This is for known patterns.  For unknowns patterns, the importance of the caller increases dramatically (at least an order of magnitude).

For known patterns -
When I have a good flight with a "non-preferred" caller, I don't hear a single word they say - consciously for sure, and I don't think subconsciously either - I remember very little of what they said after the flight.  If I actually need to hear the maneuver from my caller (preferred or not), it is not a good flight, and I've consciously chosen to listen because I had a "brain fart".  When I am having a good flight with preferred caller, I am 100% concentrating on the plane for every instant from the time the engine starts to the time the engine stops.  I think nothing of the maneuver schedule, and I divert none of my conscious thought from the plane - I simply absorb information (maneuvers, centers, proximity to the ends of the box, distance from flightline, etc) from my caller and on those flights, at the end of the flight I can quote anything the caller said, while not having specifically heard any of it during the flight - and on those flights, everything the caller says (sees) is the same as I am seeing - the confirmation justs adds to the confidence in the flight.

For unknown patterns -
The best flights will only happen with a preferred caller - whether I have memorized the schedule or not (memorizing it is preferred).  The difference between the best possible flight, an average flight, and a bad flight is at least an order of magnitude different than with a known schedule.  No matter how small, the additional concentration I can put into the flying when I have a preferred caller (and I don't have to think about what maneuver is next) makes a difference when the scores are compressed at the top.  Take a look at the most successful unknown pilots - most have a preferred caller (if no dedicated), often selected long before the event.  Observe the practice regiment prior to a flight.  And then observe the precision in the flight - it is only possible because of the focus the pilot has on the plane, and the focus the caller has on calling the maneuvers with the exact elements (push, pull, shift in, shift out, roll directions, etc) at the exact times they best can be utilized by the pilot, and always before the pilot starts to question what is next.

My comments are based on 17 years of competitive pattern flying (5 in F3A), about 3 years of practicing unknowns (written by myself and others, with and with out preferred callers), and about 5 years of occasional IMAC flying (including flying a borrowed airplane with a new caller through the Unlimited sequence).

The ideal caller differs from pilot to pilot - the ideal caller adapts to the personality of the pilot and knows when to talk, when to keep quiet, and when to provide additional information beyond the actual maneuvers.  As a caller, at the practice field, I give info to the pilot, and see when and if it is best absorbed (ie, I see the appropriate response in the plane).  I keep giving more info until I think the pilot is saturated (I no longer see the plane responding to my comments), and then I back off 10%.  And in my 17 years in pattern, I've found the amount of info and time in which it works best is very different with different pilots.  For myself, there are only a couple callers I would put in the "preferred" category at any given time - it is rarely more than 1 (Dad) or 2 (Dad and whoever I've flown with the most lately) - but there are a number of guys that I know think the same way I do, and they would be in the preferred category after only a couple flights - some of these guys are good friends I only see annually at the NATs - ain't it a great group to be a part of !!!!!!!

On a related note - I've found that I can maintain my full concentration for about 4 flights back to back.  Or maybe 8 flights through the course of a long day.  As a caller, I expend much less mental energy, but the amount of mental energy I expend increases the more familar I am with the pilot.  If I am very familiar with a pilot, I expend almost as much mental energy during a flight as if I were flying myself.  On a nice summer evening, I find that after 2-3 flights for me back to back with 2-3 flights I call, my mental concentration starts to degrade just the same as if I flew 4 flights back to back by myself.

Dave